Monday, November 26, 2007

Letter of the Week

Your letters continue to make a difference by keeping the issue in the public eye, so keep sending them! This heartfelt message appeared in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin Letters to the Editor on Sat., Nov. 23, 2007 :

"Everyone should have easy beach access"

I am deeply concerned and saddened by the recent Kailua beach access issues. This is, however, no longer an "issue" -- it is a crisis. The State Supreme Court once opined that "the Western concept of exclusivity is not universally applicable in Hawaii." The problems in Kailua lead me to believe that this principal is slowly being eroded.

When beachfront lots were initially offered in Kailua, I, like many Hawaiians, could not afford one. Those who could afford the lots built houses, and many of them let the City and County install and maintain the roads. These communities availed themselves to the benefits of city living (water, sewer, garbage pickup), yet at the same time, they put up locked gates, excluding everyone else from enjoying Hawaii's greatest natural resource -- the beach.

As an octogenarian, I am no longer able to enjoy our beautiful beaches like I did when I was younger. My mo'opuna, and every other resident of Hawaii, are entitled to unencumbered access to our beaches.

Let's re-introduce Rep. Marcus Oshiro's bill to stop the wrongdoing being done to us Hawaiians. Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono (The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness).

Elizabeth Ernst-Heiligman
Kailua

No comments: