Friday, October 5, 2007

Privatizing Beach Access Just Feels Wrong

This week I attended the meeting held by Barbara Marshall which shed light
on the new gate that went up on L'Orange and the potential for more gates to
be erected on private roads in Kailua and across the state. Ms. Marshall
suggested that we put ourselves in the shoes of those who put up the gate;
that we should consider what it would feel like if everyone cut through our
yard to get to the beach or everyone accessed the park through our backyard.
I don't live beachside or park side and never did when I was growing up
here, but I did cut through my neighbor's yard to get to the beach and
another neighbor's to get to the park, but my neighbors didn't seem to care.
If they were home, we'd said howzit and chat a bit. Maybe they didn't like
chatting with me, but they never said anything, and they never erected a
gate to deter me.

It must have been unspoken back then; if you choose to live by the beach you
choose to deal with the beach lifestyle, which is people hanging out and
relaxing, talking story into the night, barbecuing, whatever it might be.
And yea, it might be loud, late and raucous at times - it's the beach, our
playground.

About seven years ago I moved home from California. I wanted better for my
kids. I wanted to raise them in the warm, open environment that I grew up
in, where they would know their neighbors and could ride their bikes to the
beach for some good, clean fun. Our options to go to the beach in
California were 1) visit beachfront friends, 2) eat at a beachfront
restaurant, 3) pay to park at the beach, or 4) use the beach key that our
beachside friend had made for us. None were great; it felt elitist to have
the coveted key. I used to brag that all beaches in Hawaii are public and
everyone had access to the beach. I'd say, Hawaii is too welcoming and open
to close off beach access like Malibu; Hawaii beaches are for everyone,
whether or not you live beachfront. I used to carry on and on about Hawaii.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you have the right to do what you want
with your private property and the installation of a gate is your right. I
understand that installing a barrier between our saying howzit and chatting
is also your right.

It just feels wrong.

Debbie Misajon
Kailua

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CALL A WAMBULANCE!